based in Switzerland, photographer and mixed-media artist
My recent work is mainly inspired by nature, even though it is not visible in many of my images. I am privileged to live surrounded by nature and have always regarded nature as an inexhaustible source of ideas. A simple documenting what we see before our eyes is rewarding but nature triggers my imagination and new ideas of abstract interpretation come to life. Some techniques used in my recent series make a link between mysterious imperfections in nature and man-made objects. As an echo to natural forces some abstract images refer to the unpredictable and aim to remind us that human comprehension has limits.
I define my challenge and goal as searching for new visual directions accessing the subconscious. Surprise and ambiguity, which are so very present in nature are my guiding lines.
Exhibitions, Awards, Press Articles
- 2022 – Publication in Dodho – Independent International Magazine dedicated to photography based in Barcelona.
The series “Inspired by Unpredictable” https://www.dodho.com/paul-hulewicz-inspired-by-unpredictable/
- 2022 – Spotlight Single Image Contest Winner – Black&White Magazine, Category Flowers/ Plants/ Fruits, October 2022 issue
- 2022 – Award in Looking Back-Looking Forward Contest – Black&White Magazine, Category Alternative Digital Processes, June 2022 issue
- 2020 – Merit Award – Portfolio Photo Contest – Black&White Magazine
- 2019 – Single Image Contest – Black&White Magazine, Categories Abstract and Digital/ Analog Manipulation
- 2018 – Honorable Mention – IPA, Category Nature
- 2017 – Honorable Mention – Monochrome Awards, Category Abstract
- 2017 – Merit Award – Portfolio Photo Contest – Black&White Magazine
- 2008 – Exhibition “Noir et Couleur” – Bibliothèque Médiatique Municipale, Vevey, Switzerland
- 2008 – Exhibition “Noir et Couleur” – Gallery Photophore, Chexbres, Switzerland
- 2008 – Portfolio published in the magazine “Réponses Photo”, France
- 2006 – Photo Contests of Allauch, France – two photographs awarded
- 2006 – Article in the Polish Journal of Photography “Fotografia” “Cities by Paul Hulewicz in Paris Espace Beaurepaire”
- 2006 – Exhibition in Gallery Espace Beaurepaire, Paris – Street photographs in London and Paris